NDPTC is offering the following two courses as pre-conference events at RES/CON at NO COST.
Monday, March 6, 2017
Community Resilience (8 hour), 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
This course aims to inform participants of the meaningful actions that a community can take to enhance resilience to natural hazards and of the opportunities to incorporate these actions into professional practice. The course provides understanding about community resilience (CR) and how it can benefit hazard planning including practices of how community resilience can be enhanced at the local level.
The course will increase participant knowledge and understanding of potential community risks from natural hazards and the impacts of natural hazards on community systems.
Participants will be introduced to resources and tools that can assist to identify the various components of risk to natural hazards and to identify strategies for integrating community resilience into existing plans and programs that are appropriate for their community.
Hurricane Awareness (4 hours), 8:00 AM- 12:00 PM
This course provides participants with a basic understanding of the latest knowledge in hurricane science, forecasting, warning, and preparedness. This course enhances the ability of participants to identify and describe the hazards associated with hurricanes and to better prepare for and mitigate the impacts of high winds, heavy rain, and storm surge.
The course assists to explain the structure and characteristics of hurricanes and tropical cyclones and their attendant hazards, including high winds, heavy rain, and storm surge and the forecast process and uncertainty associated with predicting hurricane track and intensity. Participants learn how to interpret official forecast and warning products from the National Weather Service and how to use available decision support tools to prepare themselves, their families, and their organizations when hurricanes threaten.
1) Please visit the NDPTC website- ndptc.hawaii.edu
2) Click the SIGN IN tab
3) If you do not currently have an online NDPTC account already, please click on- Don’t have an account? Sign up
4) Complete all profile information. Create account username and password.
5) An email will be received at the email address used for profile creation to activate the newly created account. Participants must access their email, retrieve the email and click the activation link.
6) Please re-visit the NDPTC website and Sign In with your Username and Password
7) Once logged in, please visit- http://bit.ly/2gzWJV1 to find the course interested in
8) Please click on the course interested in registering for. Click Register for Course
9) Once registered please be sure to complete the online pre-test prior to the course delivery date
***Please note that the online profile created can continuously be used to register for NDPTC courses. Also, please visit the MY DELIVERIES tab to view the features available to track NDPTC training activity (past and upcoming courses) , have access to course results, and access to received course certificates.
For any registration inquires and/or questions interested participants can contact: